The 2019 NAfME Eastern Division Conference in Pittsburgh, PA (April 4-7, 2017) will feature a Young Composer Concert, followed by a session titled Young Composer Forum. Teachers and students in NAfME Eastern Division states are invited to submit original compositions by students for possible inclusion in the concert. Students in elementary school, secondary school, college, and full-time graduate students are eligible to submit compositions. Students’ school must be in states included in NAfME Eastern Division.
Rules & Regulations:
- Compositions must not exceed five (5) minutes in duration.
- Compositions may be for a solo instrument or voice, or for an ensemble of instruments and/or voices
- Each applicant may submit a maximum of two compositions, but each composition requires a separate application and fee.
- Students are responsible for providing their own performers. (Eastern Division may assist in recruiting performers, but cannot guarantee a performance.)
- Students whose works are selected will be expected to attend the Young Composer Concert and the Young Composer Forum.
- Travel, housing, and other expenses are the responsibility of the composer or sponsoring school.
- K-12 applicants must have a faculty sponsor who is a member of NAfME.
- Collegiate applicants must be NAfME Collegiate members in good standing at time of application and at time of concert.
Evaluation criteria: Compositions will be judged based on 3 criteria: Compositional Technique, Overall Musical Appeal, and Originality. Although compositional quality is the primary criterion, NAfME Eastern Division will attempt to represent all four age categories and as many states as possible. In addition, we will seek to program a concert of varied style, genre, and instrumentation.
Submission Deadline: January 15, 2019