Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
1. Complete the application form with payment ($10.00) online at www.pmea.submittable.com. The Director must be a current PMEA member.
All student applicants must upload a headshot photo - (ABOVE the SHOULDERS) labeled Lastname_Firstname.
2. The Audition selections must be submitted online via SUBMITTABLE. The audition selections must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. The recording may be stopped between selections of each requirement. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on how to submit EACH SELECTION is listed BELOW.
To obtain the best audio quality, a good microphone as well as high-end computers or digital recording devices for the recording equipment are suggested. NO EAR BUDS or HEADPHONES are permitted to be used in the recording.
3. No identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do NOT include any identifying information in the video file name or in the contents of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
***All Submissions must be recorded in the following order:***
- PART 1
- SCALES - Bb major scale from low Bb to high F and back to low Bb in eighth notes at minimum quarter note tempo of 200. Play the same exercise on a B major scale (low B to high F# and back to low B).
- REQUIRED PIECE-Play Scrapple from the Apple, found on page 16 of the Charlie Parker Omnibook (Eb Edition, pub. Hal Leonard). Do not play it with the accompaniment CD.
- PART 2
* Each applicant must submit at least one of the following three sections, but is encouraged to submit two or all three of the sections. A high performance level is foremost, but displaying a broader scope of one’s abilities will give the judges a better representation of the total player. Scoring for this category will be an average of the section(s) submitted.
5. Results of the 2019 PMEA All-State Jazz and Vocal Jazz Ensembles will be posted on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2019. via the PMEA Website- www.pmea.net.
6. The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of performance.
7. Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts, however a separate payment and Submittable application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met and sent on a separate upload video.
***If selected for the 2019 PMEA Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any of the other All-State ensembles.***
SUBMITTABLE RECORDING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Record EACH TITLE separately.
2. Announce (speak clearly) each selection by TITLE on the Video Recording before playing the musical selection.
3. LABEL THE FILE with the SELECTION TITLE from the list.
4. When uploading, SUBMITTABLE will order the recordings alphabetically.
THEREFORE, please label files as such:
01 Scales (REQUIRED)
02 Scrapple from the Apple ***(reminder- unaccompanied)*** (REQUIRED)
03 Softly ***(if applicable)*** (Improv)
04 Lead ***(if applicable)*** (etude)
05 Sum of your Attributes (with accompaniment) ***(if applicable)*** (section)