Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
1. Complete the application form with payment ($10.00) online at www.pmea.submittable.com. The Director must be a current PMEA member.
All student applicants must upload a headshot photo - (ABOVE the SHOULDERS) labeled Lastname_Firstname.
2. The Audition selections must be submitted online via SUBMITTABLE. The audition selections must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. The recording may be stopped between selections of each requirement. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on how to submit EACH SELECTION is listed BELOW.
To obtain the best audio quality, a good microphone as well as high-end computers or digital recording devices for the recording equipment are suggested. NO EAR BUDS or HEADPHONES are permitted to be used in the recording.
3. No identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). ). Additionally, please do NOT include any identifying information in the video file name or in the contents of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
***All Submissions must be recorded in the following order:***
- PART 1
- SCALES -Play a two- octave concert Bb scale in eighth notes at a minimum of quarter note tempo of 120. Play a two-octave concert B scale in eighth notes at a minimum of quarter note tempo of 120.
- REQUIRED PIECE- Play the entire etude Two Plus Two, found on page 36 in the book Jazz Conception by Jim Snidero (pub. Advance). Do not play it with the accompaniment CD.
- PART 2
- Each applicant must submit at least one of the following three sections, but is encouraged to submit two or all three of the sections. A high performance level is foremost, but displaying a broader scope of one’s abilities will give the judges a better representation of the total player. Scoring for this category will be an average of the section(s) submitted.
- IMPROVISATION-Improvise over Softly, found on pages 20-21 in the book Effective Etudes for Jazz by Mike Carubia and Jeff Jarvis (pub. Kendor), playing along with track 29 from the accompaniment CD.
- LEAD PLAYING- Play the 24-32 measure etude provided by PMEA. Etude is available online www.pmea.net , Scroll to “Conferences and Events” and then “PMEA All- State Information”. (This section is not available for tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, or bass trombone).
- SECTION PLAYING – Play the entire etude Sum of Your Attributes, found on pages 26-27 in the book Effective Etudes for Jazz by Mike Carubia and Jeff Jarvis (pub. Kendor), playing along with track 32 from the accompaniment CD.
4. Have application uploaded by the end of the day (11:59 pm) Monday, January 7th, 2019.
5. Expect notification on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2019 via the PMEA Website- www.pmea.net.
6. The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of performance.
7. Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts, however a separate payment and Submittable application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met and sent on a separate upload video.
***If selected for the 2019 PMEA Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any of the other All-State ensembles.***
SUBMITTABLE RECORDING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Record EACH TITLE separately.
2. Announce (speak clearly) each selection by TITLE on the Video Recording before playing the musical selection.
3. LABEL THE FILE with the SELECTION TITLE from the list.
4. When uploading, SUBMITTABLE will order the recordings alphabetically.
THEREFORE, please label files as such:
01 Scales (required)
02 Two Plus Two ***(reminder- unaccompanied)*** (required)
03 Softly ***(if applicable)*** (improvisation)
04 Lead ***(if applicable)*** (etude)
05 Sum of your Attributes (reminder- with accompaniment) ***(if applicable)*** (section)