Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
- Complete the application form with payment ($12.00) online at www.pmea.submittable.com. The Director must be a current PMEA member. All student applicants must upload a headshot photo - (ABOVE the SHOULDERS) labeled Lastname_Firstname.
- The Audition selections must be submitted online via SUBMITTABLE. The audition selections must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. The recording may be stopped between selections of each requirement. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on how to submit EACH SELECTION is listed BELOW. To obtain the best audio quality, a good microphone as well as high-end computers or digital recording devices for the recording equipment are suggested. NO EAR BUDS or HEADPHONES are permitted to be used in the recording.
- No identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do NOT include any identifying information in the video file name or in the contents of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
- The "Window of Opportunity to record begins Monday, Nov. 4, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 6, 2020. A confirmation email will be sent to the address on the Submittable account used to submit the application. Please check your SPAM filters for any communications and also check with your IT Administrator if a school email address is used and no email is received.
- The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of performance.
- Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts, however a separate payment and Submittable application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met and sent on a separate upload video.
- Results of the 2020 PMEA All-State Jazz and Vocal Jazz Ensembles will be posted on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2020 via the PMEA Website- www.pmea.net. ***If selected for the 2020 PMEA Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any of the other All-State ensembles.***
- (Instrumental Jazz Only) - The second ranked bass, drumset & piano applicants will be selected as the rhythm section for the 2020 All-State Vocal Jazz Ensemble.
1. Play along with the track High Maintenance, found on pages 54-57 in the book Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band Play-Along Series (vol. 1, pub. Alfred). Use track 18 from the accompaniment CD.
2. Play along with the following track from John Riley’s book, The Art of Bop Drumming. Catch all written figures and provide appropriate comping throughout each example.
- Satch & Diz on page 68/track 44: 3/4 A sections with a 4/4 bridge. Use brushes for the head and both choruses of the piano solo, switch to sticks for the remainder of the piece.
3. Provide an unedited recording of yourself performing the following styles:
- Salsa (Mambo): half note=110, 2:3 clave, play exactly 16 full measures, use idiomatic comping/fills, play with sticks.
- Bossa Nova/Samba: quarter note=120, 4/4 time, play exactly 15 full measures of Bossa Nova time, then play a one bar fill into 16 measures of double time Samba (half note=120). Use idiomatic comping/fills and play with sticks and/or brushes.
SUBMITTABLE RECORDING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Record EACH TITLE separately.
2. LABEL THE FILE with the SELECTION TITLE from the list.
3. When uploading, SUBMITTABLE will order the recordings alphabetically.
THEREFORE, please label files as such:
- 01 High Maintenance
- 02 Satch & Diz
- 03 Salsa
- 04 Bossa Nova/Samba