PMEA is pleased to once again sponsor a composition program for PMEA members and their students in conjunction with the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 14-17.
The PMEA member level is open to all members who are unpublished composers. Compose an original composition for a large ensemble, either concert band or full symphonic orchestra or percussion ensemble (10 or more parts), full jazz ensemble, or a minimum four-part SATB (Divisi if applicable) with or without piano accompaniment (with original text or borrowed text (credit must be given).
Program Rules and Procedures:
1. Composer must be a current PMEA Member and unpublished.
2. Entries must be unpublished original compositions. No transcriptions or arrangements will be eligible.
3. Compositions should be between six and eight minutes in length.
4. The purpose of the program is to encourage and promote composition. Therefore, the composition must be conceived and constructed solely by the composer.
5. Compositions must be submitted with a full score in PDF format and a recorded performance or digital audio file.
6. Be sure that your name is NOT listed anywhere on the score or in the audio file.
7. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. February 1, 2021. Entries received after the deadline will not be considered.
8. All rights, including copyrighting, remain with the composer.
9. Compositions submitted must not be published and must have not won any other competitions.
10. The panel of judges may include qualified university composition faculty, university music education faculty and music educators. Their decisions will be final, with the right to withhold the award in the event that no entry is judged to be worthy of winning.
11. Each member is limited to one entry in this level (students may also submit a different entry in the PMEA Open Track, should they wish to do so).
12. The top compositions may be featured during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference. Should your composition be selected, the recording submitted will be used for the virtual conference session.
- Creative use of the elements of music
- Appropriate use of voice and/or instruments (range/playability, texture, tone color, text if applicable)
- Compositional technique and development
- Presentation (correct musical notation)
The top composition(s) will be recognized and MAY have their pieces featured during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference. All applicants will receive feedback on their compositions.
Entry Fee: $10
Deadline: February 1, 2021
Entry: All entries will be completed online.
Questions: Please email: email@example.com