PMEA is pleased to sponsor a composition program for PMEA members and their students in conjunction with the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 14-17. New this year is the addition of an "open track," with no pre-requisite for submissions. Pieces must be unpublished and created by the PMEA member and/or their students.
*Please note that this is a new category in PMEA’s Composition Program and is separate from the traditional format with minimum submission requirements categorized by level.
Program Rules and Procedures:
1. The sponsoring teacher must be a PMEA member.
2. Entries must be unpublished original compositions. No transcriptions or arrangements will be eligible.
3. Compositions should be no more than five – seven minutes in length. There is no minimum length requirement.
4. The purpose of the program is to encourage and promote all types of composition among people of all ages.
5. Compositions must be submitted with a full score in PDF format and a recording of the piece.
6. Be sure that your name is NOT listed anywhere on the score or in the audio file as all submissions are reviewed blindly.
7. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. February 1, 2021. Entries received after the deadline will not be considered.
8. All rights, including copyrighting, remain with the composer(s).
9. Compositions submitted must not be published and must have not won any other competitions.
10. The panel of judges will include qualified university composition faculty, university music education faculty and/or music educators.
11. Each PMEA member/student is limited to one entry in the PMEA Open Track.
12. All submissions will receive feedback; some may be asked to participate in a session/webinar on composition
- Creative use of the elements of music
- Appropriate use of voice and/or instruments (range/playability, texture, tone color, text if applicable)
- Compositional technique and development
- Presentation (correct musical notation)
Entry Fee: $10
Questions: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org