Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
1. Complete the application form with payment ($10.00) online at www.pmea.submittable.com. The Director must
be a current PMEA member.
2. All audition selections must be submitted online via Submittable. Each requirement must be recorded from
start to finish without cuts and/or splices. The recording may be stopped between selections of each
requirement. The video must have a clock with second hand visible behind the applicant. No identifying
clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All-Eastern or National
Submission must be recorded in the following order:
- VOCAL JAZZ
- Sing two (2) different major scales in swing eighth notes using jazz syllables of your
choice (ascending and descending; tempo: quarter note=100; one octave; include the
ninth on top)
- Sing Skylark, found on pages 23-24 of It Had to Be You: 24 Standards in Singer’s Keys,
Volume 107, by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Sing
unaccompanied using the lyrics in ballad tempo. Change the key to suit your range.
Sing 1 complete chorus.
- Sing I Thought About You, found on page 18 of It Had to Be You: 24 Standards in Singer’s
Keys, Volume 107, by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz,
Inc.). Sing 1 chorus unaccompanied using scat syllables in medium swing
tempo. Change the key to suit your range
- Sing Summertime found on pages 15-16, using the accompaniment provided (CD 1 track #11) with It Had to Be You: 24 Standards in Singer’s Keys, Volume 107, by
Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Sing the first chorus
using melody and lyrics; improvise on the second and third choruses using scat syllables. Stylistically appropriate interpretations of the melody are
3. Have application uploaded by the end of the day (Midnight), Thursday, January 4th, 2018.
4. Expect notification by Friday, February 2nd, 2018.
5. The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of
6. Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts. However, a separate payment and Submittable
application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met
and sent on a separate upload video.
7. (Instrumental Jazz Only) - The second ranked piano, drummer and bass applicants will be selected as the
rhythm section for the 2018 All-State Vocal Jazz Ensemble.**If selected for the 2018 PMEA Jazz or Vocal Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any
of the other All-State ensembles.
- Submittable automatically places all uploads/attachments in alphabetical order. Please add numbers in front of each submission (beginning with "1") to keep the submissions in the requested order.