Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
- Complete the application form with payment ($12.00) online at www.pmea.submittable.com. The Director must be a current PMEA member. All student applicants must upload a headshot photo - (ABOVE the SHOULDERS) labeled Lastname_Firstname.
- The Audition selections must be submitted online via SUBMITTABLE at the PMEA Website listed above. The audition selections must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on how to submit EACH SELECTION are listed BELOW, as well as on the SUBMITTABLE Application. Students should face the video camera and include their entire head in the video. NO EAR BUDS or HEADPHONES are permitted to be used in the recording. To obtain the best audio quality, a good microphone as well as high-end computers or digital recording devices for the recording equipment are suggested.
- No identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do NOT include any identifying information in the video file name or in the contents of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
- The "Window of Opportunity to record begins Monday, Nov. 2, 2020 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 5, 2021. A confirmation email will be sent to the address on the Submittable account used to submit the application. Please check your SPAM filters for any communications and also check with your IT Administrator if a school email address is used and no email is received.
- The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of performance.
- Although PMEA checks to ensure the videos play in the correct format and the file can be opened, PMEA is NOT responsible for the content repertoire of the video. Please follow the repertoire and file labeling instructions.
- Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts, however a separate payment and Submittable application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met and sent on a separate upload video.
- Results of the 2021 PMEA All-State Jazz and Vocal Jazz Ensembles will be posted on FRIDAY, January 29, 2021 via the PMEA Website- www.pmea.net.
***If selected for the 2021 PMEA Vocal Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any of the other All-State ensembles.***
*** Vocal Jazz students (including the rhythm section) are eligible to apply for NAfME Eastern Division or National Honors Ensemble if applicable for any given year. ***
Submissions must be recorded in the following order:
1. Sing two (2) different scales in swing eighth notes using the syllables “doo va” or “doo ba” (may be modified depending on range), ascending and descending one octave (including the 9th on top). Tempo: Quarter note = 110
- low: Middle C
- high: A (above middle C)
- low: Bb (below middle C)
- high: F (above middle C)
- low: G (below middle C)
- high: D (above middle C)
- low: C (second space bass clef)
- high: G (below middle C)
- low: Bb (second line bass clef)
- high: Eb (below middle C)
- low: F (below bass staff)
- high: C (second space bass clef)
2. Sing “I Can’t Get Started”, found on page 5 (high version) or page 27 (low version) of Vocal Standards – Embraceable You: 12 Standards in Singer’s Keys, Volume 113 by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Sing unaccompanied using the lyrics in ballad tempo. Sing one (1) complete chorus. Soprano and Tenor singers should sing the high version. Alto and Bass singers should sing the low version. Middle singers may sing the high or low version or may sing in a different key - depending on what best suits your voice.
3. Sing “Love Is Here to Stay”, found on page 9 (high version) or pages 31 (low version) of Vocal Standards – Embraceable You: 12 Standards in Singer’s Keys, Volume 113 by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Sing two (2) choruses along with the accompaniment provided (listed below) with the Vocal Standards book. The First Chorus should be sung with the written pitches of the melody and the lyrics. The Second Chorus should be sung by improvising on the melody using the lyrics. Choose either the High Voice or Low Voice part to best suit your voice part and range.
High Voice – CD #1, Track 14 (faster tempo)
Low Voice – CD #2, Track 14 (faster tempo)
4. Scat sing two (2) improvised choruses along with the accompaniment track provided in How to Play Jazz and Improvise, Volume 1 by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Accompaniment: Track 8 – Blues in Key of F Concert found on page 75- (may be used from accompaniment CD or purchased from iTunes or other digital music retailer)
SUBMITTABLE RECORDING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Record EACH TITLE separately.
2. LABEL THE FILE with the SELECTION TITLE from the list.
3. When uploading, SUBMITTABLE will order the recordings alphabetically.
***THEREFORE, please label files as such:
02 I Can't Get Started ***(Reminder- Unaccompanied)***
03 Love is Here to Stay ***(Reminder- Accompanied)***
04 Scat ***(Reminder - Blues in Key of F Concert)***